"While our world keeps hoping for peace through man’s solutions, we know the only source of lasting unity is Jesus Christ." Dr. Charles Stanley

Friday, January 21, 2011

Chili Recipe


With all this snow and Super Bowl approaching I wanted to share with you a Chili recipe!!

This makes 4 servings so if you have more mouths to feed just double or triple the recipe (which I always do) Great for leftovers :-)

1 pd. 90% lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup of salsa
1 can of Hormel Chili (or container of fresh made chili from grocery store)
1 tablespoon of chili powder
I also add in some hot sauce..no exact amount just to add a kick (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
shredded cheese (for topping, optional)
1/4 cup of diced onions (topping, optional)
sliced black olives (topping, optional)
Sour cream (topping optional, put as much as individual desires)

Cook and stir beef and onion in large skillet at medium-high heat until beef is browned and onion is tender. Drain and discard fat.

Place beef mixture, tomatoes with juice, beans, salsa chili powder and hot sauce into a big pot (you could also do this in a crock pot) Keep on low heat on stove top for one hour. If in a crock pot keep on low for 5 hours. In the last half hour on stove top add in the can of chili or chili from the store..stir in and put lid back on for another half hour.
* I have made this on stove and in crock pot and prefer the stove top cooking better (as do those who eat mine)
Once finished you can serve with shredded cheese, onions, sour cream, olives or anything else you desire. Also..don't forget the bag of tortilla chips or scoops for dipping ;-) Another great side if you do not want chips is Corn bread!!
Stay warm and enjoy!!! Oh and Go JETS! (Normally a Giants fan but they are next best ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Is this THE chili recipe? I had no idea you used canned chili in it too! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is THE recipe lol. I like to add either the can or fresh made kind to pull it all together. You don't have to do that though. Oh and don't double on that, one can or container will do. If you make it let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try to make this. And cooking for me is a bit of a challenge (I am culinarily-challenged, what can I say? LOL) Is it hard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No not hard at all..I'm am queen of the not complicated, quick, inexpensive but yummy meals ;-) The culinary gene is a little bit missing in me as well! You will be able to make it just fine. Let me know how you do :-)

    ReplyDelete